- No monthly fee
- MasterCard® * PayPass™ contactless debit card
- Online and telephone banking
- Free transactions in Europe**
- Monthly statements.
Available on request:
- Overdraft (subject to eligibility) – to help you cope with emergencies or short term requirements for extra cash
- Switching service – let us take the hassle out of moving your existing bank account
- Cheque Book – we can print your cheque book in store while you wait
- Paperless statements – provide secure and easy online storage with paper versions available when you need them
Personal Banking Services Brochure
* MasterCard® and PayPass™ are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated.
**Overseas transactions are free in Europe with fees applied in the rest of the world. Europe consists of the member countries of the Single European Payment Area (SEPA). To view a list of these countries, please click here
Things you should consider:
- You can apply to open a Current Account if you are 18 or over and a UK resident.
- No credit interest is paid on a Current Account (but remember we have some great savings accounts!)
- A credit check will be undertaken with a credit reference agency when you apply for a Current Account and/or an overdraft.
- Overdrafts are subject to status and application and both agreed and instant overdrafts are repayable on demand.
- Joint accounts are available and each account holder is separately accountable for complying with the terms and conditions of the account.
- For information about how cheque clearing operates please see Terms 11 and 12 of 'Our Service Relationship with Personal Customers'
Please download and read full details for this product below.
Current Account Important Information Summary
Euro and US Dollar Account Important Information Summary
Our Service Relationship with Personal Customers
Standing Order, Direct Debit, and Future Dated Payment instructions are all processed in the morning. If there are insufficient funds available in your account to make these payments, we will attempt to process them again at 2pm on the same day. This gives you more time to pay the funds into your account, allowing for the payment to be taken successfully the second time round without incurring any late payment charges.
Agreed overdrafts and instant overdrafts both incur an interest rate of 15% EAR* typical (variable). Interest will be calculated daily on your account and applied monthly. The amount of interest payable and when it will be charged will be shown on your monthly statement. Instant overdrafts and exceeding your agreed overdraft may also incur additional charges.
- We will not charge you any more than a total of 6 Paid or Unpaid Item charges in any month
- If the deduction of interest causes or increases an instant overdraft, interest will be charged on the new overdrawn balance (there will be no Paid Item charge made when this is the case)
- A uniform fee of £10 will be charged for both Paid and Unpaid items.
We also have examples of charging scenarios available to look at on our website which helps illustrate what actions can incur charges and help you avoid them.
If you would like further information on our overdrafts then please read Our Guide to Overdraft Fees and Charges.
Withdrawals from Metro Bank ATMs are free, however, you should be aware that there are some ATM owners who may charge for withdrawals - there should always be a warning on the screen before they do so, giving you the option to cancel the transaction.
If you use your card abroad, foreign currency transactions will be converted into sterling on the day it is paid out of your account – the exchange rate is set by MasterCard®**.
Metro Bank will not charge you for international debit card transactions made in Europe***, and our rates in the rest of the world offer outstanding value. Find out more about using your credit or debit card abroad.
|CHAPS and SWIFT payments
||£25 per transaction
|Stopping a cheque
||£10 per item
|Issuing a banker’s cheque
||£15 per item
|Stopping a banker’s cheque
||£10 per item
We may charge you our reasonable costs to find you if you do not keep your contact details up to date.
We may charge you our reasonable costs for recovering an incorrectly made payment.
For full details, please read the Important Information Summary.
*EAR stands for Effective Annual Rate and illustrates what the interest rate would be if interest was charged and added to the amount owed once each year. It does not take into account fees and charges. We may change any of the rates and charges and introduce new charges under 'Our Service Relationship with Personal Customers' of the account.
**MasterCard® is a registered trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated.
***Overseas transactions are free in Europe with fees applied in the rest of the world. Europe consists of the member countries of the Single European Payment Area (SEPA). To view a list of these countries, please click here
Visit your local store to apply for a Current Account. You can download information on what you will need to open an account with Metro Bank here.
If you are an existing customer, you can contact our Local UK Call Centre on 0345 08 08 500 to apply for an overdraft.
Looking to switch your existing banking relationships to Metro Bank?
Dedicated Switching Service Helpline to arrange a new switching process or track your existing one
0345 08 08 501
We manage the move for you, including all your savings and borrowing needs
For further information, call our Local UK Call Centre on 0345 08 08 500.